How does this tracker work? You plug in a SIM card, configure the tracker and put it somewhere. Then, using your (smart) phone, you send your tracker a certain SMS – A few seconds later, the tracker will send its own GPS coordinates in a new SMS message!
And a click on the received SMS message will show you the location of this GPS coordinates on Google Maps.
I’m always interested in how the things internally look like – So I opened my GPS GSM tracker.
Chips found inside:
- Eon Silicon Solutions cFeon EN71GL064B0-70CWP (flash memory, pseudo SRAM)
- Skyworks SKY77547-11 (Tx-Rx front-end module-quad-band GSM/GPRS)
- MediaTek ARM MT6223DA (GSM/GPRS baseband processor with ARM core)
- Othello AD6548 (GSM/GPRS quad-band RF transceiver)
Chip inside the box on the other side labeled ‘J214809D6’: GPS receiver ?
Contacts found inside:
- GND, SDA, SCL, VDD, GPO
- GPS_VBK, GPS_TX, GPS_RX, TX, RX, VCC, ON, GND
- VBAT, GND, CHG
- PWRKEY, GND, SPK+, SPK-